To anyone out there that may be reading my blog, I need some help! I put a chore list together a few months back for my 4 year old, Brian (see below). I think he is capable of more, especially when he informs me, a few times a day, that he is bored. He is at the age right now that chores are fun. But, they are more work for me. I know I need to teach him, so I am fighting to allow time in my day to work with him on these things - this will produce great fruit in the future. I would love for you to write in some good ideas of chores I could add to his list. I need help being creative. So, please, look at his list and let me know what I am missing. Don't forget, he's only 4! What have you had your 4 year olds do??
These are not all done in one day, but throughout the week:
Make bed/clean room
Brush teeth
Empty bathroom trash cans
Unload plastic and silverware from dishwasher
Get trash can from road
Wipe down bathroom
Clean out van
Clear dinner dishes
Pick up family room
Pick up Carlye's room
Fold wash clothes and hand towels



12 comments:
Could I hire him to come to my house and do chores?? I know it takes time to train them, but it is so worth the effort. Enjoy the days that he looks forward to doing them! :-) You're doing a great job with my adorable grandson!!!
I have enjoed your blog and honestly can not even remember how I found it =)
I have 3 little ones my youngest being 6yrs old. When all 3 of them were 4 yrs old they would empty the dryer for me into a laundry basket and push it to a designated area. This may sound silly but it is so nice when the children are in bed to sit down and they are right there ready for you to fold.
Wow! I am so amazed and blessed when I read the different things you guys are doing with my little grandbabies (some of whom are not so little anymore) Your chore list for Brian is actually way more than his dad was doing at his age. The only thing that I could think to add might be something you're already doing - playtime with his brother and sister. Even though this might not seem like a chore, in his mind it probably will be.
WOW! He does a lot! What a good example for the little ones!
hm...let me see...
1. clean the gutters
2. repaint the garage walls
3. clean behind the fridge/stove
4. pressure wash the patio
5. mix and tidy up the compost pile
yeah, i'm pretty sure that rounds out what i used to do at four...along with reading spurgeon to my younger sister while beating the merengue for that night's dessert.
:o) seriously, praise, this is amazing...from blanket time to four-year-old-chores-that-take-you-extra-time-but-you-see-the-future-benefits. wow! luv, luv!
Wow...he does more than I do!! The playtime with his brother and sister idea is a great one. It has served Mea in the area's of selfishness and having to learn to prefer her brother's by playing with them when she would rather be selfish and not do the hard work. Also, it has helped her be thankful for all the bigger kids who serve her by playing with her. Just an idea...your doing a great job though and don't forget to just enjoy him...he will have lots of years of chores and school!!
Whenever Libby would tell us she was bored, that was an immediate extra chore...It was always a list of things that I would like done...examples...wipe down front of cabinets, vacuume under couch cushions, clean grout in the bathroom, weed the flower beds(my personal favorite :),wash the windows....It was a great opportunity for her to not complain and to walk her through gratefulness and contentment in her circumstances. And we did this when Libby was very young... I know that is not chores, but it can go alonside what you are referring to..... ~smile~
I don't have any extra ideas for you but I'm going to be saving your list for when Joshua gets a bit older. :)
I think your list of chores is very age appropriate for Brian. I showed Eden the pictures of him working and read his chore list to her. She was very encouraged and ready to work! Starting young is great!Thanks for sharing.
The only suggestion I have for you is to find ways for Brian to serve his Daddy personally like putting the mail on his desk or folding his socks or even drawing pictures of the jobs he's done that day and giving them to dad after he's home from work.
Wow, Praise you are doing so well with training your little man at an early age. I only wished I had listened to wise ladies in my life and had trained my children to do chores when they were younger. I did it all and it was very overwhelming. I didn't start really traing them until just before we moved to Niceville. It has been the best thing ever and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. My youngest is 9!!! I recently had surgery and was out of commission for 6 good weeks. My children were able to keep the house clean during that time. It was such a blessing!
So be encouraged my friend . . .you are doing a great job!
I think I am going to steal the one about doing an extra chore if one says they are bored! That is a good one!!!
No ideas...but he sure is cute! Actually all three are adorable!!! I love all the pics... ;-)
Hey lady, I love the play by play pictures. Good job training your little man! I'll typically sort and stain treat the laundry and then let the girls load it into the machine for me. The get so into it that it usually ends up in a fight for who gets to put the last piece in. They also love standing next to the dryer and I'll throw the wet clothes on the door and they'll take turns pushing them into the dryer and adding the dryer sheets. Of course, all this takes twice as long but it's teaching! The twins could help with that too. Don't forget about feeding the dog. Oh wait, maybe you could borrow our dog for a month or two just to give Brian some practice!
Post a Comment